1798 - The first Protestant sermon west of the Mississippi River was delivered by John Clark, a Methodist minister, at Bates Rock located near the mouth of the Joachim Creek in Herculaneum.
1803 - Louisiana Purchase is signed by President Thomas Jefferson.
William Clark (Lewis & Clark) stops at Herculaneum before joining Meriwether Lewis.
Founding of Herculaneum by Moses Austin and Samuel Hammond.
John Maclot, a French refugee, builds the first shot tower in Herculaneum.
Moses Austin builds the second shot tower in Herculaneum.
The first post office is established in Herculaneum. Herculaneum is described as a town of twenty houses, two hundred residents, a ferry, a store, a blacksmith and a hatter.
1811 - New Madrid earthquake shakes chimneys, rocks cradles and rings church bells in Herculaneum.
Christian Wilt and John Honey built the third shot tower in Herculaneum. Lots in Herculaneum were sold by Hammonds at $30.00 a lot.
Herculaneum's first school was established by a man named Wilson.
The" Zebulon Pike", the first steamboat to navigate the upper Mississippi River, stopped at Herculaneum on its way to St. Louis. From that point on, the steamboat made regular stops in Herculaneum.
Jefferson County is organized by an act of the Missouri Legislature and Herculaneum is selected as the first County Seat.
Herculaneum is described as a town having between thirty and forty homes, three stores, a post office, a jail, a court building and a school. There were three shot towers on the adjoining cliffs.
1819 Moses Austin and Samuel Hammond sold the town of Herculaneum to Elias Bates, John Findley and James Dowlin, trustees of the town, for $50.
County court records show that a survey was made to incorporate the town of Herculaneum on July 27. Records show that the town of Herculaneum was incorporated.
Jefferson County establishes rates of taxation and petitions the court to establish highways toward Ste. Genevieve, Potosi and Meramac The same year, John W. Honey, a Herculaneum merchant and prominent early settler, captains a steamboat, the Maid of Orleans, to New Orleans.
The first Masonic Lodge was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Tennessee. It consisted of three separate lodges: Missouri (St. Louis), Joachim (Herculaneum) and St. Charles (St. Charles).
On March 19, 1819 the first county court convened. Samuel Woodson and Andrew Scott were commissioners of the new court.
James & Emily Bryan, Moses Austin's daughter and son-in-law, donate land to the County for the construction of public buildings.
The first General Election is held in Jefferson County. Daniel Dunklin and Samuel Perry were elected as the first State Senators. The first judge to preside in Jefferson County was Nathaniel Beverly Tucker.
Campbell Morfit, a noted chemist, is born in Herculaneum on November 9.
Missouri is admitted to the Union as the 24th state.
Founder Moses Austin dies in Washington County, MO (June 10).
The first justices of the County Court were L.B. Boyd, Elias Bates and Samuel Hammond. The first meeting was held in the rented home of a African-American man named Abe on October 1.
Josiah Craft built the first county jail in Herculaneum on land donated for public buildings by James and Emily Bryan.
Thomas Fletcher, the 18th Governor of Missouri, is born in Herculaneum (January 21).
Records show that the fifth Missouri legislature grants permission to construct a toll bridge over the Joachim Creek in Herculaneum (December 26).
The County Court voted to move the County seat to a more centrally located town.
Charles Bunyan Parsons of the St. Joe Lead Company is born in Vermont (February 26).
By an act of the Missouri Legislature, the Jefferson County seat is moved from Herculaneum to the more centrally located town of Hillsboro.
The County Seat is moved to Hillsboro.
Daniel Dunklin, the fifth Governor of Missouri, moves to Herculaneum.
Founder Samuel Hammond dies in Georgia (September 11).
Daniel Dunklin, the fifth Governor of Missouri, dies in Herculaneum (August 25). Dunklin is buried in Herculaneum (August 27).
The post office in Herculaneum is closed.
Jefferson County voters oppose Missouri's secession from the Union.
Thomas Fletcher becomes the first native born Governor of Missouri. Fletcher was born in Herculaneum in 1827.
The St. Joe Lead Company, a New York based firm, was organized to produce lead in the Missouri Lead Belt area.
Sarah Rankin donates land to the Town of Herculaneum for use as a town cemetery (Rankin Memorial Cemetery). (June 29)
At the direction of Charles Bunyan Parsons, the St. Joe Lead Company chooses Herculaneum as a lead smelting site.
The M.R. & B.T. Railroad was started near Bonne Terre and ran to Herculaneum. This railroad line intersected with the Iron Mountain Railroad at Riverside.
St. Joe Lead Company acquired a 540 acre tract of land along the Mississippi River to locate its new lead smelter.
Construction begins on the St. Joe Lead Company smelter.
The post office reopens in Herculaneum.
The first operation of the smelter begins with the operation of calcine furnaces, two blast furnaces, a refinery and a powerhouse for the generation of steam and electricity.
Thomas Clement Fletcher dies.
Acorn Lodge #352 of the Knights of Pythias instituted in Herculaneum (July 10).
The first public school in Herculaneum opens.ThefFour-room frame school was located on School Street.
The Buren Chapel, A.M.E. is built.
The First Baptist Church of Herculaneum is organized (December 17).
St. Joe Lead Company constructs a 350 foot smoke stack at their facility.
The 100th Anniversary of the Herculaneum Post Office is held (October 7).
Eight room brick schoolhouse opens (September 3).
The Douglass Elementary School is organized by the Herculaneum School District (September 3).
Reverend Burk and Reverend Hoffs organize the Methodist Church in Herculaneum.
Special warranty deed issued by the St. Joe Lead Company for the establishment of the Herculaneum Cemetery (December 3).
The St. Joe Lead Company donates land to the Methodist Church for the construction of the first church building.
The Catholics of Herculaneum organize and build the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Virgin Mary Catholic Church.
Herculaneum Cemeteyt deed filed for record at the Jefferson County Courthouse (May 19).
The St. Joe Lead Company donates land to the Assumption Catholic Church for the establishment of the Assumption Cemetery.
The first burial takes place in the Assumption Cemetery (August 30).
The Assumption Catholic Church is constructed on Station Street in Herculaneum.
An addition of classrooms and science facilities is made to the existing 1912 Public School building.
Six students comprise the first four year graduating class of Herculaneum High School.
Molds for the bear pits at the St. Louis Zoo are cast from the limestone bluffs in Herculaneum.
The Assumption Catholic Church organizes a parish school in the basement of the church building.
The bridge next to the train depot is washed out by high water.
The First Assembly of God Church is organized and meets in a three-room house at the intersection of Circle Street and Main Street.
Herculaneum Chapter #325 of the Order of the Eastern Star is constituted under charter (October 26).
Herculaneum Masonic Lodge #338 A.F. & A.M. instituted under charter (october 28).
The First Assembly of God Church is set in order by the Southwest Missouri District.
An addition was made to the existing Herculaneum Public School building that included a gymnasium, locker rooms, industrial arts and music classrooms.
The first Herculaneum School Carnival is held on the school campus (October 10).
The Joachim Creek Bridge is constructed on what will become Highway 61.
Highway 61 (Joachim Avenue) opens to trafficin Herculaneum.
Dedication of the Shot Tower plaque by the United States Daughters of 1812 (March 31).
The first Boy Scouts of America troop in Herculaneum is chartered (December 10).
High School science teacher, Wood Burton, is killed in classroom explosion (April17).
The Mississippi River & Bonne Terre Railway os merged with the Missouri-Illinois lines under the Missouri-Pacific Company (July 1). Passenger service to Herculaneum ended soon afterward.
The Senior Class of Herculaneum High School adopts a senior ring.
The Home Economics cottage opens on the campus of the Herculaneum Public School (September 4).
The Joachim Golf Course is constructed.
Construction begins on the new Highway 61 (Commercial Boulevard) in Herculaneum (September 13).
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) begins construction of the track and athletic field at the Herculaneum Public School.
The Joachim Creek Bridge on Highway 61 opens to traffic (September 25).
The Herculaneum Community Band is organized (January 23).
Herculaneum residents walk across the frozen Mississippi River to Ilinois (Febrauary 13).
The Works Progress Adm inistration begins construction of the Ferry Road begins in Herculaneum (September 14).
Ferry service is established between Herculaneum and Harrisonville, Illinois.
Construction of the Herculaneum Athletic Field is completed (October 23).
The first Herculaneum High School Senior Educational Trip to the historic and natural points of interest in the Eastern part of the United States occurs.
The Assumption Catholic Church builds a parish school (for grades 1-8) next to the church building.
The Joachim Study Club is formed.
The first meeting is held in the new Herculaneum Masonic Temple takes place (January 21).
The St. Joe Lead Company donates a company building for use as a town library.
Herculaneum Boy Scout Troop #411 is chartered (November 3).
The Junior Club "Joli Coeur Club" is formed by the Joachim Study Club.
The Herculaneum Historical Pageant is presented by the Herculaneum High School Class of 1940 (May 14).
The Joachim Golf Club is incorporated (June 6).
The Herculaneum Public Library opens to the publci (February 12).
The Acorn Lodge #352 of the Knights of Pythias merges with the Jefferson Lodge of Festus (April 10).
Herculaneum High School adopts a new school fight song to replace the original fight song, for which the music had been lost.
Ferry service to Illinois from Herculaneum ceases to operate (Febrauary 18).
Herculaneum World War II Honor Roll dedication ceremony takes place. The Joachim Study Club sponsored the establishment of an honor roll plaque to honor the servicemen and servicewomen of Herculaneum serving during World War II.
The Joachim Study Club erects the first street signs in Herculaneum (March 15).
Herculaneum Girl Scout Troop is organized by the Joachim Study Club.
Herculaneum Veterans of War Post #5168 instituted (January 6).
The first Mineral Area Relays track meet is held in Herculaneum (April 13).
Herculaneum High School defeats Festus 12-6 in first ever Herculaneum High School football game (October 4).
The first Cub Scout Pack (#411) is organized in Herculaneum (April 29),
The Herculaneum Public School building is destroyed by Christmas Day fire. Classes are moved to the First Baptist Church, the Methodist Church and K P Hall until repairs are made.
The first Herculaneum High School yearbook, The Black Cat, is published (May 6).
The first Community Christmas Tree was erected at the intersection of Station Street and Main Street. The project was the result of the combined efforts of St. Joe Lead Company, Union Local 132 and the Joachim Study Club. The tradition was continued for twenty years.
The Herculaneum Lions Club is chartered (March 9).
The Horine Elementary School is organized within the Herculaneum School District. The school district is renamed the Herculaneum R-5 School District.
The Herculaneum High School building is re-dedicated after closed following the 1947 fire (October 8).
Six classrooms and an office are built to establish the Herculaneum Elementary School (September 3).
The Herculaneum Fire Department is organized by a group of twelve volunteers from the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #5168. The fire department purchases a used 1931 General Monarch fire truck. Lynn Johnston is elected as the department's first FireCchief.
The Herculaneum Volunteer Fire Department responds to their first fire call on August 3rd. The fire call was a garage fire at the home of Leo Thomas at 818 Curved Street.
Automatic dialing phone system begins in Herculaneum (May 4).
The new Douglass Elementary School building opens for classes (September 4).
St. Joe Lead Company donates a former church basement to the fire department for use as the first fire station.
The Herculaneum Fire Department initiates the sale of fire tags to fund the activities of the fire department.
Herculaneum Tri-Hy-Y Club is organized (March 8).
Herculaneum-Pevely Little League is organized (March 26).
Additions to the Herculaneum Elementary School building includes a kindergarten room, a gymnasium and additional classrooms.
Integration of the Herculaneum High School begins (September 13).
The final Herculaneum Public School Carnival is held on the school campus (October 21).
Herculaneum AmVets Post #42 (Jefferson County Memorial Post) receives charter (December 13).
The First Assembly of God Church constructs a new church building at the intersection of St. Joseph Street and Highway 61-67.
Herculaneum AmVets Post #42 hosts the 1956 Missouri State Convention of AmVets (April 27-29).
The Jefferson County Boat Club is organized and opens the Herculaneum Boat Dock (May 22).
The first Jefferson County Boat Show is held on the Mississippi River in Herculaneum (August 12).
A joint eighth grade promotion ceremony for the Herculaneum Elementary and Douglass Elementary Schools is held (May 24).
A huge oil fire occurs on the Joachim Creek following a break in a Gulf Oil Company pipeline near Horine. The fire burned for several days (June 1).
The second and final Jefferson County Boat Show was held on the Mississippi River at Herculaneum (August 2-3).
The Douglass Elementary School wasintegrated into the Roy E. Taylor Elementary signaling the end of school segregation in Herculaneum (September 3).
The Herculaneum Fire Department purchases the first new fire truck for the town of Herculaneum. The new truck is a 1957 Ford.
Rose Croix DeMolay chapter is instituted in Herculaneum (May 31).
Roy E. Taylor, longtime Superintendent of Schools, retires after 34 years in the Herculaneum school system. The Herculaneum Elementary School is renamed the Roy E. Taylor Elementary School in his honor (July 1).
The Citizens for the Improvement of Herculaneum holds first meeting (May 1).
The first Herculaneum Homecoming Festival, sposnored by the Citizens for the Improvement of Herculaneum, begins (June 12).
Carolyn Ravenscraft is crowned the Queen of the first ever Herculaneum Homecoming Festival (June 17).
The Herculaneum High School Victory Bell is dedicated (September 7).
The Herculaneum Football and Track Field is named the J.W. Dugan Memorial Athletic Field (Septemebr 15).
The Herculaneum FIre Department sponsors the first public fireworks display in Herculaneum.
A new gymnasium building is added to the Herculaneum High School campus. The building includes a cafeteria, business education classrooms, music room and physical education room and locker facilities.
Pevely Elementary School District is organized into the Herculaneum R-5 School District. The district is renamed as the Dunklin R-5 School District .(February 23).
The Missouri State Park Board agrees to establish a memorial to Governor Daniel Dunklin at the Dunklin Grave Site overlooking the Mississippi River.
Herculaneum firefighter Jim Evans was awarded the American Legion Silver Star of Valor (along with Assistant Chief Steve Siracusa of Crystal City Fire Department) for their heroism as they successfully removed a gasoline tanker truck from a raging fire at the Crystal Tire Company. Two other Herculaneum firefighters were injured in the blaze and transported to Jefferson Memorial Hospital.
The Assumption Catholic Parish School is closed and the students are transferred to the Festus facility (June 2)
The Daniel Dunklin Grave Site on Dunklin Drive is designated as a Missouri State Park (July 4).
Interstate 55 is opened to traffic between Herculaneum and Pevely (November 2).
The Herculaneum Public Library is closed due to lack of funds.
Herculaneum Fire Chief Tom Robart is elected President of the Fire Fighters Association of Missouri. He held the office until 1971. Robart was again elected President in 1973.
Interstate 55 is opened to traffic between Herculaneum and Festus (May 7).
The largest senior class in the history of Herculaneum High School graduates (May 21).
The Herculaneum Fire Department constructs a new engine house. The new fire station replaces the old renovated church basement in use since 1952. The building is dedicated on March 14, 1971.
The Senn-Thomas Middle School is dedicated (April 18).
A group of concerned citizens form the Neighborhood Improvement Association seeking to re-incorporate Herculaneum.
The formation of the Herculaneum Sewer District is approved (September 14).
First Board of Trustees for the Herculaneum Sewer District are elected.
On January 7, the Jefferson County Court designated Herculaneum as an incorporated city.
The City of Herculaneum officially begins business as a fourth-class city with City Hall located in the old Douglass School Building.
1000-year old Indian burial grounds are unearthed in Herculaneum (December 21).
The City Hall operates from the old Douglass Elementary School. The first Board ofAldermen is elected as follows: Lester Boyer, Robert Turley, James Evans, Don Kelley and Don Stotler, Stotler is elected as the City's first Mayor. John "Hoot" Douglas is elected as the first City Marshal and Nick Bates is appointed as the first Municipal Judge.
The first meeting of the newly elected Herculaneum Board of Trustees. The first board was sworn in Election Commissioners Robert Peppers and Oscar Torrence. Don Stotler is elected as Chairman of the Board of Trustees (April 10).
The Herculaneum Board of Trustees pass first ordinance calling for an election to designate Herculaneum a fourth class city. Census shows that the population of Herculaneum is 2,475 which qualifies Herculaneum for designation as a fourth class city (May 30).
The first two police officers for the City of Herculaneum are sworn in (June 26).
Herculaneum is established as a fourth-class city by a vote of the residents (July 11).
The City of Herculaneum contracts with the Herculaneum Fire Department to provide fire protection to the citizens of Herculaneum. With this contract, the sale of fire tags in Herculaneum ended.
The City of Herculaneum officially begins business as a fourth class city with the city offices located in the old Douglass Elementary building (September 5).
The first election of a Board of Aldermen for the City of Herculaneum is held. Donald Stotler is elected as the first Mayor of Herculaneum. The Board of Aldermen consisted of: Donald Kelley, James Evans, Lester Boyer, Dale Richardson, Howard Donald and Warren Holdinghausen.
The Herculaneum Fire Department is selected as the "Fire Department of The Year for Missouri" by the Fire Fighters Association of Missouri.
The City of Herculaneum is mentioned in the Broadway musical, "A Chorus Line" as the hometown of one of the show's characters (July 25).
William Burlage is elected Mayor of Herculaneum and serves until 1979.
The last Herculaneum High School Educational Senior trip takes place in May.
Current street addresses are assigned to all residences and business establishments in Herculaneum (April 8).
The City of Herculaneum takes control of the Lead Belt Water Company watrerworks (September5).
The City of Herculaneum purchases land from the St. Joe Lead Company for the construction of a new City Hall building (July 14).
The start of home delivery of mail in Herculaneum begins(April 10),
The new Herculaneum City Hall is dedicated and officially opened at #1 Parkwood Court (April 3)t.
The Herculaneum Memorial Library is closed temporarily,
The Herculaneum High School men's cross country team wins the first State Championship in the school's history (November 5).
The Herculaneum Memorial Library reopens in the City Hall building.
William Wildish, a write-in candidate, is elected Mayor of Herculaneum and serves until 1980.
The Herculaneum High School boys' track team wins the first State Championship in the school's history (May 19).
Richard Marberry is named Mayor of Herculaneum and serves until 1981.
Frances Pashia is elected Mayor of Herculaneum and serves until 1987.
A quit-claim deed filed in the Recorder of Deeds office in Hillsboro transfers the ownership of the Rankin Memorial Cememtery from the St. Joe Minerals Corporation to the City of Herculaneum (January 20).
The "Hiney Winery" opens and closes in Herculaneum.
The Herculaneum High School's girls' cross country team wins the first State Championship in the school's history (November 6)
Herculaneum celebrates its 175th Anniversary of its founding with a three day celebration (August 19, 20 & 21).
Tri-City Major Little League baseball team wins state championship (August 7).
Carrie Burris is the first African-American woman to be elected to a Board of Alderpersons in Herculaneum and Jefferson County.
The Herculaneum High School baseball team wins first state high school baseball championship (June 7).
Tom Griffith is elected Mayor of Herculaneum and serves until 1991.
The city ends the sale of stickers for vehicle license.
The Herculaneum Board of Aldermen approve the I-55 TIF project (December 29).
The City of Herculaneum closes the Rankin Memorial Cemetery to future burials (July 13).
The city sponsors first Fourth of July fireworks display in 11 years.
City park is named in honor of Alderman Harry J Haggard (March 3).
Tom Robart elected Mayor of Herculaneum and serves until his death in 1993.
The First Baptist Church of Herculaneum was destroyed by fire on February 14.
A 9-1-1 centralized dispatch service began in the cities of Herculaneum and Pevely (April 2).
The Herculaneum Board of Aldermen approve the Riverview TIF project (February 17).
Major strike by Teamsters Union Local #688 begins against the Doe Run Company (August 1).
The Olympic Torch passes through Herculaneum for the first time.
Jerry Martin is elected Mayor of Herculaneum and serves until 1997.
Herculaneum residents are greatly affected by the Great Flood of 1993 and again 1995.
Teamsters Union Local 688 strikes against the Doe Run Lead Company.
The first Jeffco Fire Engine Rally is held in Herculaneum (September 17).
The first traffic signal is activated in Herculaneum at the intersection of McNutt Street and Commercial Boulevard (April 19).
The City of Herculaneum purchases the Herculaneum Sewer Company.
The City of Herculaneum takes control of the Herculaneum Sewer Company (May 1).
The Doe Run Company constructs a 550 foot smokestack.
The Olympic Torch passes through Herculaneum for the second time (May 28).
The City of Herculaneum takes ownership of the Herculaneum Memorial Library (September 23).
Tom Griffith is elected Mayor of Herculaneum and serves until 2001.
Herculaneum Historical Society organizes.
Herculaneum residents vote to become a member of the Jefferson County Water Authority. Water Authority formed with the City of Festus (April 1).
The City of Herculaneum trades portions of Main Street and Station Street to the Doe Run Company for 40 acres of land near the city's western boundary (March 13).
Ground is broken for the new Jefferson County Water Authority plant (March 27).
John Chamis is elected Mayor of Herculaneum.
Herculaneum Fire Department celebrates their 50th anniversary on October 20th.
The Doe Run Companhy signs agreement for voluntary property purchase plan (April 26).
The City of Herculaneum begins to receive water from the Jefferson County Water Authority plant (August 25).
The Jefferson County Water Authority Plant building is dedicated on September 13.
The city dedicates the Shot Tower Memorial Park located at Dunklin Drive and North Main Street (June 1).
Herculaneum Today & Tomorrow, a revitalization group, organizes (September 17).
The Herculaneum Sewer District is dissolved by the citizens of Herculaneum and all assets are transferred to the City of Herculaneum.
The City of Herculaneum annexes 330 acres of land west of present city limits (February 16).
The City of Herculaneum creates the position of Police Administrator and Chris Pigg is selected to serve in the position.
The citizens of Herculaneum vote to abolish the office of City Marshal effective 2005.
The Herculaneum Bicentennial Committee is organized to plan the 200th anniversary celebration for the city.
The Master Plan Steering Committee begins to formulate a master plan for the City of Herculaneum.
Mayor John Chamis passes aways during the first year of his third term as Mayor. (October 5)
Following the death of Mayor John Chamis, Jeff Kendall was appointed Mayor.
Herculaneum annexes 127 acres of land west of the city limits (January 24).
The Joachim Creek Bridge on Joachim Avenue is permanently closed to all traffic (November21).
Bill Whitmer is hired as first City Administrato in the history of Herculaneum.
Gina Vinyard was elected to a one year term as Mayor.
The Herculaneum Board of Aldermen adopts the 2005-2006 Master Plan.
The Joachim Avenue Bridge is demolished (December 28).
Construction begins on the new Joachim Avenue Bridge.
Christ the Vine Lutheran School opens (January 3).
The United States Air Force 40th Airlift Squadron of Dyess Air Force Base in Abilene, Texas, adopts Herculaneum as its "honorary hometown" (March 12).
The first Bicentennial Tree (a white oak) on Mott Drive is dedicated during an Arbor Day Celebration (April 27).
The City of Herculaneum sells approximately ten acres of city streets to the Doe Run Company (June 29).
The new Joachim Avenue Bridge is dedicated and named the Moses Austin-Samuel Hammon Memorial Bridge. (November 3)
The City of Herculaneum adopts the first official flag for the city (November 3).
Groundbreaking ceremonies are held for the construction of a new engine house for the Herculaneum Fire Department to be constructed on Riverview Plaza Drive (December 1).
The Herculaneum Bicentennial Committee sponsors a flag raising and dedication ceremony. A United States flag is dedicated in honor of all Herculaneum military veterans; a Missouri flag is dedicated in honor of Missouri Governors Daniel Dunklin and Thomas Fletcher and a Bicentennial flag is dedicated in honor of all past and present residents of Herculaneum. A reception was held at Herculaneum City Hall following the ceremony. (January 1)
The Herculaneum Bicentennial Committee hosts a 200th Birthday Party for the City of Herculaneum at the Herculaneum Masonic Lodge #338 Temple. (January 13)
Kirsten Elizabeth Nichols, daughter of Andy and Rachel Nichols, becomes the Bicentennial Baby as a result of being the first baby born to Herculaneum residents in 2008.
The City of Herculaneum receives the national award "Tree City USA" at the Jewel Box in St. Louis. Herculaneum becomes the first city in Jefferson County to be designated Tree City USA (April 25).
The second Bicentennial Tree (a northern red oak) is dedicated at 945 Church Street during the second annual Arbor Day Celebration. A reception was held at Herculaneum City Hall following the ceremony (April 25).
The Herculaneum Fire Department is named the 2008 Career/Career With Volunteers Fire Department of the Year by the Fire Fighters Association of Missouri (April 26).
"Pride and Celebration", a music composition written in commemoration of the Herculaneum Bicentennial Celebration, is performed for the first time by the Herculaneum High Schoo Concert Band. The composition was written by Joe Pappas of House Springs, Missouri (May 6).
Oscar J (Jim) Kasten becomes the second city administrator of Herculaneum (July 7).
Herculaneum Fire Department dedicates new fire station at 151 Riverview Plaza Drive (September 14).
The Herculaneum Bicentennial Celebration weeked (October 9 -12).
First Baptist Church of Herculaneum-Pevely celebrates the 100th Anniversary of the founding of the church (November 14-15).
Bicentennial Celebration comes to a close as a Bicentennial Time Capsule is closed during a closing celebration. The time capsule is to be opened on December 31, 2058. (December 31)
The City of Herculaneum is designated "Tree City USA" status for the second year. The award is presented to the city in St. Louis (April 24).
The third Annual Arbor Day Celebration is held at the Herculaneum Fire Station at 151 Riverview Plaza Drive. Six redbud trees are planted and dedicated. One tree is dedicated for each branch of the Armed Forces and a sixth tree is dedicated in memory of the Herculaneum residents who were killed in action during World War II and the Vietnam Wa (April 24)r.
Construction begins on the new South Alignment Bridge over the Joachim Creek.